View 2014 Summer Algebra 1 Course Schedule from here.
This advanced algebra course is a complete course in elementary algebra. It focuses on the structure of the real number system. The solution of equations, inequalities, and systems of equation and inequalities is presented. Graphing, both as a means of displaying data and analyzing data in one and two dimensions, is an integral part of these courses. A sound foundations in arithmetic and prealgebra skill is essential for success in this course.
How is this course taught?
This course is taught as a live class via the Internet. Using WebEx software and webcams, students will see and talk to the teacher and their classmates as if everyone is in the same room. This means students can take this course from anywhere in the world with the Internet access.
All classes are recorded and provided to students for download/replay. By downloading them, students can keep and review the lectures indefinitely.
Sabio also offers pre-recorded lectures called e-Learning. These are lectures are short (under 5 minutes) and to the point without any distractions. These lectures also use animations and simulations extensively to make understanding intuitive and instinctive. A large part of teaching will be done by this e-Learning and students are expected to study them before joining the class.
Will there be homework?
Most definitely. Some will be online homework that is automatically graded, others will be graded manually.
How many hours per session do I need to spend to study for this course?
Students are expected to spend from 1 to 2 hours after each session on their own to study. This does not include class time.
What are the technical requirements for this course?
- Students must have a headset communicate with the teacher.
- Students must have a tablet to write during the class
- Students may need a webcam (any of these models will work) to show your attitude to the teacher and classmates. Any of these models will work.
- Must be learning or have finished Algebra 2
- Must have the latest version of Mathematica (purchase here) installed on the computer used for class.
Who is teaching this course?
The instructor is James Choi
Do I need to buy a textbook?
How long is this course?
90 minutes per live session plus e-Learning lectures if needed. One session a week for 26 weeks = 39 live hours of instructions plus many hours of e-Learning.
Do I need to learn Mathematica for this class?
Yes. We will teach you how to use it from the start. Mathematica is an integral part of this class. You not only need to learn how to use it, you have to use it during the class to answer teacher’s questions.
Why do you use Mathematica in this course? No one else is using it.
Some concepts in Algebra 1 starts require visualizing them and Mathematica is the tool that makes visualization possible. Once visualized, most students can understand the concepts instinctively without memorizing the formulas.
When does the new course start?
How much is the tuition?
How do I enroll in this course?
- (Only if this is your first Sabio course) Fill out this form and pay $50 registration fee to create your ID/password in our database.
- Make sure you checked all the requirements above, then make an appropriate payment below by clicking the session of your choice.
Our other school math courses